Merecumbé...

Merecumbé is my trademark, I chose it back at culinary arts school when I was working on my final project, creating a restarurant. It means a musical rythm, a fusion between Colombian Cumbia and the Merengue of the Caribbean. In Panama, my country, it has different connotations, usually referring to things that are a mess, but work well together... like jazz. A Merecumbé is likely to start before a bigger problem. In my culinary world everything is possible as long as it remains ordained by tecnique and discipline. It is by those two pilars that I support having the craziness around.







Saturday, December 25, 2010

I do... I love you Fruitcake...

    I will marry you and have your cupcakes!!! wait... You said cupcakes? Off course I did... This is my blog... and whenever possible EVERYTHING IS MADE INTO A CUPCAKE. This year I wanted to follow Christmas traditions by the book. Why? Well because I usually get sad around the Holidays and I decided I was going to be happy making delicious and wonderful things for my loved ones. I made 6 desserts for a 25 people dinner so you figure. My family is specially known for HATING fruitcake, we actually banished it from our Christmas table. However some of us secretly love it. Like my dearest aunt Loraine, who called me like a week before Christmas asking me where she could PURCHASE a good one... I really didn't know.
   A couple of years ago, while I was working for R/S, a local supermarket and pastry, bread, blah, blah industry I made a research on fruitcake and several samples. I liked the results, but was a little bit tight with the budget on ingredients and forced to used that horrible greed and red gummy bears like fruit mix!!! So, with that background, my cravings, and  a very important tool in my hands I made up my mind: I was making my family a fruitcake they would love.
    The tool I had in my hands was the book, The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum. Both the introduction to fruit cakes and the way she explains how the cake in the fruitcake has disappeared are key to understanding as a pastry chef what you are looking for in your batter. So I took that recipe as a base and as a theoretical concept to achieve what I wanted. What I wanted was to bake cupcakes 4 days ahead that tasted like they had been marinating for 3 years, and trust me they did.
   My secret ingredients where: coconut, dates, figs and fresh blueberries.... and a lot of rum!!!! Next year I am definitely selling these, so be sure to place your order in time, because trust me, if my family said this cake was heavenly good, you are never going to try fruitcake this good. This is fruitcake cupcakes merecumbéTM.


                                  Fruitcake Cup Cakes with Felt Toppers by http://www.mayicarles.com/


mua,

Caro

No comments:

Post a Comment